Python is one of the most widely used programming languages. It has been responsible for everything, from Netflix’s recommendation algorithm to the software controlling self-driving cars. Python is a general-purpose language. This means that it can be used for a variety of purposes, including data science and web development, automation and just getting stuff done.
Let’s look closer at Python, its capabilities, and how we can learn it.
What is Python?
Python is a programming language that can be used to create websites, software, automate tasks and analyze data. Python is a general-purpose language that can be used to create many different programs and is not specialized for specific problems. Its versatility and ease of use have made it one of the most popular programming languages. RedMonk, an industry analyst firm, found that it was the most used programming language by developers in 2020.
What does Python do?
Python is used to develop websites and software, task automation, and data analysis. It’s easy to learn and has been used by scientists and accountants for many everyday tasks like managing finances.
Charles R Severance, University of Michigan Coursera Instructor and Coursera Professor says that “Writing programs can be a very creative and satisfying activity.” “Writing programs can be used for many purposes. These reasons include making a living, solving difficult data analysis problems, or having fun and helping others solve a problem.”
Let’s take a closer look at some common uses of Python.
Data analysis and machine-learning
Python is a standard in data science. Data analysts and other professionals can use it to create complex statistical calculations, data visualizations, machine learning algorithms, manipulate, analyze, and complete other data-related tasks.
Python has many options for creating data visualizations. These include line and bar graphs as well as pie charts, histograms, and 3D plots. There are a variety of libraries in Python that allow coders to quickly and efficiently write programs for data analysis or machine learning, such as Keras and TensorFlow.
Python is used often to create the back-end of a website or an application. This is what the user can’t see. Python can be used to send data to and from web servers, process data, communicate with databases, route URLs, and ensure security. There are many web development frameworks available in Python. Flask and Django are two of the most popular.
There are many web development jobs that use Python, such as back-end engineers, full-stack engineers, Python developers, and software engineers.
Automating or scripting
You can automate repetitive tasks with Python if you are tired of doing the same task repeatedly. Scripting is the art of writing code to automate these processes. Automation is used in coding to detect errors across multiple files, convert files and perform simple math.
Relative beginners can use Python to automate simple tasks such as renaming files and downloading online content.
Software prototyping and testing
A python is a tool that can be used to aid in software development tasks such as build control, bug tracking, and testing. Software developers can automate testing new features or products with Python. Software testing can be done with Green and Requestium, two Python tools.
Python is not just for data scientists and programmers. For those who are not data-intensive, such as journalists, small business owners, or social media marketers, learning Python can open up new opportunities. Non-programmers can also simplify certain tasks with Python. These are just a few tasks that Python can automate.
- Keep an eye on the stock market and crypto prices
- You can send yourself a reminder text to remind you to bring an umbrella when it rains
- Make sure to update your grocery shopping list
- Large files should be renamed
- Converting text files into spreadsheets
- Randomly assign chores family members
- Online forms can be filled automatically
Why is Python so beloved?
Python is popular because of many reasons. Let’s take a closer look at why Python is so versatile and so easy for coders.
- It uses a simple syntax which mimics natural language. This makes it easier to understand and read. This makes it easier to create projects and to improve them.
- It is flexible. Python can be used to do many things, including web development and machine learning.
- It is beginner-friendly making it popular with entry-level coders.
- It is open-source which means that it can be used and distributed for free, even commercial purposes.
- Python’s libraries and modules are vast and growing. They include bundles of code that third-party developers have created to extend Python’s capabilities.
- Python has a large, active community which contributes to Python’s library and modules. It also acts as a resource for other programmers. It is easy to find a solution for any coders who run into trouble because there is always someone else who has.
Are you ready to get started?